You are here: Home » Tag Archives: terrorist

Tag Archives: terrorist

Feed Subscription

Greek terrorist returns to jail, happy and healthy after 2-day leave

Convicted assassin Dimitris Koufodinas' freedom frolic sparked international and domestic outrage. Koufodinas was a member of the radical left-wing November 17 movement that carried out nearly two-dozen murders. A notorious Greek assassin is back behind bars after 48 hours of freedom that sparked international outrage. Dimitris Koufodinas, dubbed the "Poison Hand," returned to the Korydallos prison Saturday morning, 90 minutes ahead of his 12 noon deadline. Accompanied by his wife and son, he appeared relaxed and waved to the media. He said through his lawyer that he used the time outside of jail to reconnect with his family and work on plans for a beekeeing business, which he used as a front during his years as a hit man. The 59-year-old is serving 11 life sentences plus 25 years for his role in 11 of 23 assassinations carried out by the now-defunct extreme left-wing militant group November 17. Read more: A new generation of Greek terrorists The group's presence first became known in late 1975 after they murdered Richard Welch, the CIA's station chief in Athens. British military attache Stephen Saunders was the group's last victim, in 2000. For 25 years the group carried out a series of assassinations that included diplomats and officials from the United States, Great Britain, Turkey and Greece. All three foreign countries condemned Greece for granting Koufodinas the two-day leave. US ambassador to Greece Geoffrey Pyatt said it was an insult to victims and their families. "I add my voice to those from across Greece's political spectrum deploring prison council decision to release a convicted terrorist, murderer & N17 leader," Pyatt said on Twitter. In a Greek-language tweet, British ambassador Kate Smith likewise expressed London's "profound disappointment" and added that the embassy "shared" the pain of the victims' families. And the Turkish foreign ministry said the decision had displayed "tolerance to a bloodthirsty terrorist" in "sheer disrespect to the memory of our martyred diplomats." Book was a best seller The November 17 group also targeted Greek officials. The country's opposition parties have slammed the politically left government of current Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras for being soft on extremist left-wing militants. They also noted that Koufodinas had never shown remorse. Kyriakos Mitsotakis, Greece's main opposition leader, whose sister's husband was among November 17's victims, said, "I speak as a shocked citizen who is witnessing this country's biggest terrorist, a remorseless murderer, given leave from prison." In 2014, another jailed former November 17 member, Christodoulos Xiros, took advantage of his prison leave to go on the run. He had been planning terrorist attacks when police recaptured him a year later. The liberal daily newspaper Kathimerini said Saturday that Koufodinas was able to secure leave because the Tsipras government had modified a law regarding conditional release. Koufodinas is a former mathematician. He was convicted for the murder of Saunders in addition to the deaths of a US military attache, a US airman and two Turkish diplomats, among others. Koufodinas was arrested in 2002 but not before evading capture for several months by camping out on a secluded beach after other members of the group had been arrested. He subsequently turned himself in. November 17 was named after an anti-junta student uprising. While in prison Koufodinas, wrote a best seller on his life inside the extremist group.

Convicted assassin Dimitris Koufodinas’ freedom frolic sparked international and domestic outrage. Koufodinas was a member of the radical left-wing November 17 movement that carried out nearly two-dozen murders. A notorious Greek assassin is back behind bars after 48 hours of freedom that sparked international outrage. Dimitris Koufodinas, dubbed the “Poison Hand,” returned to the Korydallos prison Saturday morning, 90 minutes ... Read More »

Poland to stop accepting refugees after Paris attacks

Poland's incoming government has announced it will no longer take in refugees due to the recent Paris attacks, calling for 'security guarantees.' Germany has warned against hastily linking Paris and the refugee crisis. Poland will no longer accept relocated refugees based on an EU distribution program, Poland's incoming conservative, Euroskeptic government announced on Saturday. Due to Friday's deadly terrorist attacks in Paris, Poland's new government is now demanding security guarantees before taking in further refugees. "The attacks mean the necessity of an even deeper revision of the European policy towards the migrant crisis," said Konrad Szymanski, Poland's rising European affairs minister, during a briefing on Saturday. "We'll accept (refugees only) if we have security guarantees. This is a key condition, and today a question mark has been put next to it all around Europe," added the incoming minister, without specifying what he meant by security guarantees. Szymanski's comments on the right-wing nationalist website wpolityce.pl made clear that Poland's new government will not comply with the EU refugee relocation program. Border controls "The decisions by the EU Council that were criticized by us over the resettlement of refugees and migrants in all EU states are of a binding nature. However in the face of the tragic events in Paris, we see no political possibility of implementing them," he wrote on the site. "Poland must retain complete control of its borders, as well as its asylum and migration policy," Szymanski insisted on the site. Witold Waszczykowski, Poland's rising foreign minister, voiced his concerns as well, saying Europe needed to "approach in a different fashion the Muslim community living in Europe which hates this continent and wishes to destroy it." Poland's conservative Law and Justice (PiS) party won an absolute majority during the October 25 election by running on a platform that included refusing to allow migrants to enter Poland. The new PiS government is set to be inaugurated on Monday. Under the EU relocation plan, 160,000 refugees registered in countries like Greece and Italy are to be relocated throughout the 28-member state bloc. According to the plan, which was agreed to by Poland's outgoing center-right, pro-EU government, Poland was set to accept an additional 4,500 refugees, on top of the 2,000 it has already accepted. Germany's 'urgent plea' In response to rising right-wing reactions to the Paris attacks, Thomas de Maiziere, Germany's interior minister, cautioned against connecting the terror attacks in Paris to the record-breaking influx of refugees in Europe. "I would like to make this urgent plea to avoid drawing such swift links to the situation surrounding refugees," Thomas de Maiziere said, noting that there have already been "appalling scales of attacks against asylum seekers and asylum seeker shelters." Along with increasing police and border controls, the minister said that security forces will also keep a close watch on far-right extremists. "Germany, too, remains firmly as ever in the firing line of international terrorism," he insisted. Beata Szydlo, Poland's soon-to-be Prime Minister lit a candle at the French Institute in Krakow on Saturday. Szydlo refused to comment on the refugee issue, but added that she and her government will try to do anything "for the Polish nation to feel safe."

Poland’s incoming government has announced it will no longer take in refugees due to the recent Paris attacks, calling for ‘security guarantees.’ Germany has warned against hastily linking Paris and the refugee crisis. Poland will no longer accept relocated refugees based on an EU distribution program, Poland’s incoming conservative, Euroskeptic government announced on Saturday. Due to Friday’s deadly terrorist attacks ... Read More »

China detains foreigners over ‘propaganda’ video

China has detained a group of 20 tourists from South Africa, Britain and India, after they were accused of watching videos that were judged to be terrorist propaganda. Several have already been deported. The UK's embassy in Beijing confirmed on Tuesday that nine Britons and two dual nationality British-South African travelers had been detained. It said that six of them had been deported. The embassy said it was still "seeking further clarification" about those still being held by authorities. The group was first detained on Friday at an airport in Ordos, in China's Inner Mongolia region. No reasons were given for the detentions, according to the charity Gift of the Givers, which has been communicating on behalf of those who were held. According to the charity, representatives of the three foreign governments had held talks in Ordos, with 11 to be deported or already having been deported. However, the group said on its Facebook page, five of the South Africans, three of the British and an Indian national remain in detention without charge. "No charges have been put to the group, but the Chinese have been very vague saying that someone in the group has some links to a suspected terror group," said a Gift of the Givers statement. It was also alleged that a member of the group had been watching the alleged propaganda videos in their hotel room. Gift of the Givers tweeted a message of concern about the conditions in which the detainees were living. 'No contact after arrest' The tourists had been on a 47-day planned journey to explore ancient Chinese sites when they were arrested. Members of the group were given no contact with their embassies, Gift of the Givers said, adding that the fact that they had been detained only came to light through their tour operator. The charity urged South Africa's Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, who is visiting China on government business, to raise the issue with his hosts. South African Foreign Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane told reporters in Pretoria that consultations with Chinese authorities were taking place. "The matter has been raised at the highest level possible, taking advantage of the deputy president's presence in China" she said. The Chinese government recently extended a year-long nationwide crackdown on "terrorism" that was in place after a string of violent incidents blamed on Islamist separatists from the mainly Muslim region of Xinjiang. The ruling Communist party has, in recent months, tightened controls on foreigners working in the country.

China has detained a group of 20 tourists from South Africa, Britain and India, after they were accused of watching videos that were judged to be terrorist propaganda. Several have already been deported. The UK’s embassy in Beijing confirmed on Tuesday that nine Britons and two dual nationality British-South African travelers had been detained. It said that six of them ... Read More »

Scroll To Top