An attacker has allegedly killed one woman and injured two people in the city of Reutlingen in southwest Germany, according to local police. Officials confirmed the man was arrested after a citizen hit him with a car.
The machete-wielding attacker sparked panic after killing a woman near a Turkish fast-food kiosk in downtown Reutlingen, German mass-circulation newspaper “Bild” reported Sunday.
Two more people, a man and a woman, were reportedly wounded in the attack.
A car driver spotted the attacker running away from the scene and hit him with his vehicle, allowing police to grab hold of the suspect and make an arrest, according to a police spokesman cited by the DPA news agency.
Police stated that the suspect is a 21-year-old male refugee from Syria who is known to authorities for previous acts of violence.
Reporter and photographer Sascha Baumann tweeted that the victim’s body was found on a side street.
The alleged perpetrator was reported to have been arguing with the deceased woman before attacking her.
Authorities believe the man acted alone.
Thomas Strobl, interior minister for the German state of Baden-Württemberg, praised security forces for their quick response.
“Thank God the police were immediately able to capture the suspect, neutralizing any danger,” he said.
Local police said they currently had “no indication” that the attack was in fact a terror strike.
Germany is on edge following a deadly shooting spree in Munich two days ago, and a separate stabbing rampage on a Bavarian train last week. In both cases, attackers were teenagers with Muslim backgrounds.
The train attack was allegedly carried out by an Afghan refugee who had pledged alliance to “Islamic State.”
However, Friday’s shooting appeared not be motivated by political ideology, with the German-Iranian attacker having a history of mental illness, according to German officials.